About me

My name is Maddie. I am an identical twin and I live in the UK. In 2016 I discovered I had been brutalized when I was 3 by an uncle who lived with us throughout 1968. For 50 years, I lived in oblivion. I wish to share with you what my life has been like and how I unearthed the truth about my toddlerhood.

Friday 25 May 2018

How I Uncovered the Truth about my Toddlerhood Part 4: The Missing Four Hours

One evening in 1996, my twin and I discuss the day she had cut her face with the glass bottle at the age of 4. I had been suffering a run of intrusive thoughts and was seeing a counselor at the time. In an attempt to get to the root of these disturbing episodes, I had been going through my diaries.

The Story of Eve’s Accident

We both clarify what had happened that day: we had a disagreement over orange juice and I had thrown a glass bottle at her. I dash out of the cottage in terror after seeing her bloodied face. Eve was then rushed to hospital. No one was present when the accident occurred.

My route out of the back door after Eve's accident in 1969

As decades have since passed and Eve has had corrective surgery in 1981, the day was forgotten and Eve holds no resentment towards me. I am grateful to her, not only for putting the accident in the past, but for upholding the truth. For now, I would continue my counseling and complete my glean-through my diaries, believing the subject of Eve’s accident was now closed.

20 years later in 2016 after a series of events, I discover there are things about the day of Eve’s accident that are…wrong. Things don’t fit and I am troubled.

The So-Called Novels

Throughout my life, I have been engaged in countless creative pursuits to escape a mysterious dirty-blame and intrusive thoughts that afflicted me. One such pursuit was my psychological thrillers. A man whom I assumed to be a childhood familiar drove the story lines. Recurrent elements within my novels included broken glass, blood, disfigured faces and characters fleeing north to a hideout. It seems the day Eve cut her face was fuelling my novels.

Over the following few weeks, Eve and I talk about her accident. She recounts of her time in hospital; I recount of hiding out in the garden somewhere.

The questions of things not fitting begin to arise. Something is wrong about the day of Eve’s accident and it is to do with the light.

This abridged account from my book Mirror Image Shattered explains.

“I return through the back door of our cottage after the accident to find Mum seated beneath the window, Eve upon her lap. I was convinced a short time had elapsed, half-an-hour at most. However, I had noticed before throwing the glass, the kitchen had exhibited a bright, mid-morning feel, but when I returned, the light had become gloomy.

Logic had had failed to pierce my shattered impressions of that time. An ambulance drive to the hospital and back would have taken 20 minutes at least. Eve would have to be checked in, wheeled into theatre, undergo surgery and wait until the doctors were happy to release her.

This means that I had entered the kitchen, not a few moments later, but hours later. Mum was already holding Eve when I had returned so she hadn’t gone looking for me.
Where had I gone for all that time?"

I had worked the time frame to be around 4 hours.

Mum is by now terminally ill and decorum is appropriate. My questions could not have come at a worse time and I feel I will never find the answers from her. Still I keep thinking of that day. Where had I gone?

My memory goes blank after I dash north from the cottage. I am murmuring to myself in panic.

And then what?

A boarded-up swimming pool lies ahead. I have no sense of going left, right or hitting the fence. It’s as if I am going north forever. I must have hidden somewhere.

But one thing I am certain. I had not encountered any family member while I was missing.

The following part forms the stepping-stone to uncovering the mystery of the missing 4 hours.

Part 5: The Man in My Chest

No comments:

Post a Comment