About me

My name is Maddie. I am an identical twin and I live in the UK. In 2016 I discovered I had been brutalized when I was 3 by an uncle who lived with us throughout 1968. For 50 years, I lived in oblivion. I wish to share with you what my life has been like and how I unearthed the truth about my toddlerhood.

Friday 25 May 2018

How I Uncovered the Truth about my Toddlerhood Part 2: My Obsessive Novel Writing

I truly believed Colwyn Bay had almost claimed my children after they had drifted out to sea in floats. Once I had led them back to the beach, a mysterious depression had descended upon me. The creepy feeling of an earlier ‘me’ running within my body as I darted into the sea kept lingering.

The Thunderstorm Within

Throughout my life I have suffered intrusive thoughts and a dirty-blame feeling which I explained to a troubled childhood of warring parents and Dad’s mental illness. Countless creative pursuits and projects formed a diversion including painting, and particularly novel writing. A secret fantasy world had been a consistent force throughout my life and it felt like an alternative reality.

For decades, a childhood familiar whom I called Aidan haunted my imaginings. I created different versions of him, gave him various names, drew his face, imagined his life story and wrote psychological thrillers around him. I wrote my first ‘serious’ novel on reaching 18.

This first novel, The Lessons (initially called The Upstairs Room) had taken 30 years to write. Only my twin Eve knew about my secret novel.

Notes on literary agents in my 1985 diary

When motherhood beckoned, I put The Lessons aside. But soon after the birth of my second child, I would start writing again. The Locked Door, closely followed by my third and forth novels, North Window and Nadia. A burning imperative kept me writing and I didn’t understand where it came from.

As I sat on the rocks on Colwyn Bay’s, I reflected upon my terror feeling as I had launched myself at the sea. That’s when I noticed patterns in my so-called ‘novels’.

The following is an abridged excerpt from my book Mirror Image Shattered which explains.

“I kept thinking about that eerie sensation of an inner-ghost of myself running into the sea. It had been an old feeling, leaving a bodily imprint. I instantly knew where it came.
I had been whimpering, ‘No, Mummy! No Mummy!’ as my four-year-old self had raced up the garden path. I had been short then, fresh out of toddlerhood. 

Only circumstances similar to that experience could have unearthed the memory.
A rare sort of terror.
Running north.
The sun on my back.
And the time of year, being August.
The day my identical twin, Eve had her awful accident."

The accident itself wasn’t the reason for my shock for we all knew about it. The shock came when I realized how utterly horrific the trauma had been. How could my mind squash the entire episode into such a small space to be forgotten in decades gone by?

The real shock came when I made the connection between the trauma of that day and my novels. Fingerprints of that horrible day are dotted over the place. I had spent the last 32 years writing about a childhood trauma and I hadn’t even realized!”

These recurrent elements would take the form of broken glass, disfigured faces, characters fleeing north to a hideout, blood, deep shame and more.

The next part of my account describes what happened when my identical twin Eve got her injury and how this formed the bridge into an earlier more horrific past – my toddlerhood.

No comments:

Post a Comment