About me

My name is Maddie. I am an identical twin and I live in the UK. In 2016 I discovered I had been brutalized when I was 3 by an uncle who lived with us throughout 1968. For 50 years, I lived in oblivion. I wish to share with you what my life has been like and how I unearthed the truth about my toddlerhood.

Friday 25 May 2018

How I Uncovered the Truth about my Toddlerhood Part 5: The Man in My Chest

After talking to my identical twin about her terrible accident that occurred when we were 4, I discovered things about that day that didn’t fit.

I had thrown a glass bottle at Eve after a squabble. On seeing blood on her face, I had dashed out of the cottage to hide somewhere in the garden. For decades I had believed I had wandered in a daze for 10 minutes or so before returning via the back door.

However, I have since realized that the light had radically changed between my dash out of the cottage and my return. Not only that, but Eve had already been stitched up and was laying on Mum’s lap. I had not encountered a family member the entire time Eve was in hospital. So where had I gone?

I naturally ask Mum about that day but she is by now terminally ill and incoherent. It felt wrong to pursue this line of questioning for implying she had been neglectful. I cannot question my older siblings in fear of creating a family feud. I have to accept I may never find out where a four-year-old ‘me’ had gone during those four hours.

However, I would soon find the answer to the mystery in an unexpected place.

Answers within my Novels

For decades I had feverishly been writing what I believed to be psychological thrillers. However, I would later discover recurrent elements within my story-lines that would inform upon an early childhood trauma: broken glass, blood, disfigured faces, characters fleeing north to a hideout and abject shame recur over and again.

This discovery had occurred due to a series of incidents.

Several times, I describe fictional characters fleeing north after causing an injury with glass and hiding out alone in a small enclosure. Indeed, I recall dashing north from the cottage before my memory goes blank. Our back garden contained a boarded-up swimming pool, garage, swings and a small caravan. The enclosure of my ‘fictional’ hideout always matches that of the caravan. In one novel, a character boards an empty train carriage after causing an injury with glass. Both enclosures contain benches and a small window looking east.

Storyboard showing what happened on the day of Eve's accident (from Mirror Image Shattered)

Another novel describes a character hiding alone in a grotty bedsit after causing injury with glass. The room has the same layout, a bench-like bed with a window looking east. How had I not noticed these recurrences before?

This is how I worked out where I had gone to during the missing 4 hours of that day. A 4 year old child had dashed into the back garden after seeing blood on her twin’s face and then she hid in the caravan.

Somatic Memory

But what did I do during all this time? I may have tranced out or fallen asleep due to shock. One thing I do know was that I had not encountered a family member. This is consistent with my novels. All characters that flee remain alone.

When I returned to the cottage, the once-sunlit kitchen was now gloomy. Mum was already seated with Eve on her lap. Eve appeared as white as linen, unconscious from the anesthetic and a black scar near her hairline.

My first sight of her had spurred a potent concoction of emotions. Naturally I was deeply ashamed at what I had done. But then I had also seen a man’s face rise in my chest. A man’s face. This seems odd, but I would later learn it was a sensory or ‘somatic’ memory of something I had experienced a year previously. I didn’t figure this out at the age of 4.

A somatic memory is a bizarre experience: I didn’t actually ‘see’ the man’s face in the literal sense, but I had a strong impression of a man’s face in my chest as I had looked upon Eve. The image was as clear as a photograph. With this, I felt terribly sullied.

This excerpt from my book Mirror Image Shattered describes what I thought the man’s face represented.

“As I had believed I had destroyed the lives of Mum and my twin, I had become the weirdo on the bus that Mum typically spurned. A man’s face had appeared in my chest and became part of me. This and Dad’s psychotic illness must form the basis for the callous characters of my novels years later. A stranger now exists inside of me and the cottage was no longer my home.”

But the man in my chest wasn’t a figment of a cast-out stranger of wrongdoings. The man had been real, only I hadn’t realised at the time.

The following part describes how Eve’s anesthetized body provided the key to uncovering the secrets to my toddlerhood.

No comments:

Post a Comment